The Namibian (Windhoek)

18 January 2013

Namibia: Double Murder Trial Shifted to October

THE trial of an Otjiwarongo resident who is accused of having murdered his girlfriend and her mother in June 2009 was postponed until October this year in the High Court in Windhoek on Tuesday.

Judge Alfred Siboleka, who has been presiding over the double murder trial of Julius Dausab (43) since July 2011, has been appointed as the chairperson of Namibia's third Delimitation Commission, and will as a result not be available to continue with Dausab's trial this month.

The trial was scheduled to continue from Tuesday to January 25, and again during March. With Dausab's latest appearance before Judge Siboleka, the trial was postponed to the periods of October 7 to 11 and October 17 to 25.

Dausab is accused of murdering his girlfriend, Paulina Kenamune (27), and her mother, Elfriede Kenamune (44), at their home in the Ovitoto area east of Okahandja during the night of June 3 to 4 2009. The two women were shot dead, allegedly with a .308 rifle that was later found in Dausab's possession.

Dausab pleaded not guilty to two counts of murder and an additional charge of possession of ammunition without a licence at the start of his trial. He however admitted that he had possessed a firearm without a licence.

He is claiming that he was at the scene of the double murder, but that the two women were killed by an unknown man, described as short and stout, who left the scene in a white sedan vehicle after the shooting.

Dausab was arrested at Otjiwarongo on June 4 2009. He was kept in custody for close to three years, until Judge Siboleka granted him bail in an amount of N$40 000 in March last year.

Dausab asked the judge on Tuesday to relax the conditions attached to his release on bail. His request was refused, with the judge reminding him that he was granted bail so that he could get proper medical treatment for his diabetes, and that the conditions attached to his release were aimed at restricting his movement while he is free on bail.

Dausab's defence lawyer, Bradley Basson, told the judge that Dausab wanted to be allowed to have his driving licence renewed, and to report to the police less frequently than the three times a day that he has to report at the Wanaheda Police Station currently.

Basson said Dausab is now running a butchery in Katutura, and wants to be able to travel to livestock auctions to buy meat for his business.

The conditions attached to Dausab's release on bail are that he has to stay with his niece in Windhoek for the duration of his trial, that he may not leave the Windhoek district, may not make any contact with relatives of the late Paulina and Elfriede Kenamune or any witnesses in his case, should not renew his passport or driving licence, and has to report at the Wanaheda Police Station every morning, early afternoon, and early evening.

State advocate Erick Moyo is representing the State in Dausab's trial.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2013 The Namibian. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.