Head of the Kuwaiti board to defend former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, Faisal al-Ateiby, has said that Mubarak will be released within the next few days, explaining that the legal detention period of two years has passed.
According to the law, the accused must not be detained pending investigation for over 18 months.
The attorney told a Kuwaiti newspaper on Sunday that he gave the Chief Public Prosecutor of Egypt Talaat Ibrahim new evidence that proves the innocence of the deposed leader.
Mubarak, who ruled Egypt for three decades, was sentenced to life imprisonment for failing to halt the violence that took place during the uprising that ousted him, but a court last week ordered his re-trial.
The Kuwaiti attorney said that the new evidence shows that some senior members of the now-ruling Muslim Brotherhood were behind the killing of protesters.
He also accused the Hezbollah movement, Hamas and even the April 6 movement of plotting the violence and killing the protesters, expecting Mubarak to be retried within the next three months.