Leadership (Abuja)

Nigeria: Four Arrested Over Attack On Emir's Convoy

Photo: This Day
Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero

Four suspects have been arrested in connection with the attack on the convoy of the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero, it emerged yesterday.

The deputy governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, also confirmed the arrest to AFP yesterday but declined to give numbers.

This comes as the Sultan of Sokoto and President-General of the Jama'atu Nasril Islam (JNI), Alhaji Sa'ad Abubakar III , condemned the attack, describing the attackers as cowards.

The Senate President, David Mark, the Northern Governors' Forum, and the Peoples' Democratic Party (PDP) were also among those who condemned the attack yesterday.

Kano State deputy governor Abdullahi Ganduje said some suspects have been arrested over the attack but he declined to say how many.

But a security source said on condition of anonymity that four suspected members of Boko Haram sect have been arrested, claiming that one of them had allegedly confessed to participating in the attack on the emir's convoy.

Meanwhile, the death toll in an attack by gunmen on the convoy of the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero, has risen to five, the police said yesterday.

"The interim chairman of Kura Local Government Area and his driver were also killed by some gunmen who pursued them from the scene of the attack on Emir Ado Bayero," Kano police spokesman Magaji Majia also told AFP.

Kano State Governor Musa Rabiu Kwankwaso had earlier told AFP that three people in the emir's convoy were killed in the Saturday attack.

The unknown gunmen opened fire on the emir and his convoy as they were returning from a Qur'anic graduation ceremony in Kano city.

The politician, Salisu Abdullahi Kura, and his driver had left the convoy in the confusion that followed the attack but were trailed by the gunmen in a cab and shot dead in a nearby street, Majia said.

The 82-year-old Bayero, who was not hurt in the attack, flew out of the country to the United Kingdom yesterday along with his two sons injured in the attack, an official in his palace said.

"The emir left for London around 1:15 pm to cool off after the traumatising event of yesterday," said the official.

Security was tightened yesterday in Kano, following the attack. Armed soldiers and policemen patrolled the streets and intensified their search on vehicles at checkpoints in the city.

Attackers are cowards - Sultan

The Sultan of Sokoto condemned the attack in strong terms, describing it as a cowardly act.

In a statement signed by JNI's secretary-general, Dr. Khalid Abubakar Aliyu, and made available to journalists in Kaduna, the Sultan commiserated with Kano State Government, Kano Emirate Council and people of the state over the wicked attack on the Emir.

"We condemn, in the strongest terms, this dastardly act that led to loss of innocent lives, and again reiterate our earlier calls to governments at all levels to give security of life and property of citizens the utmost priority it deserves.

"We call on all Muslims to intensify prayers to Almighty Allah to bring to an end the security challenges facing our country. While praying for the repose of the souls of the deceased, we call on authorities concerned to carry out a thorough investigation in order to unmask and arrest the perpetrators of this heinous crime," he said.

Mark: attack, violent assault on traditional institution

Senate President David Mark yesterday in Abuja condemned Saturday's attack on the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero.

In a statement issued by his Special Adviser (Media), Mr Kola Ologbondiyan, Mark described the attack as "a violent assault on our respected traditional institution".

The Senate president urged security agencies to rise to the challenge by fishing out the perpetrators.

He also appealed to well-meaning individuals with information on the hideouts of perpetrators of attacks in the country to make such available to the security agencies.

The Senate president, however, urged those behind the devious acts to embrace peace in the interest of the nation.

Attack an alert call - IBB

Former military president, General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida (IBB), has also condemned the attack on the Emir of Kano, describing it as frightening.

In a statement issued by IBB, he said it was disturbing that threats to security had refused to die down, and called on government to change tactics in its attempt to contain terror attacks in the country.

"The attack on the Emir of Kano which reportedly left four people dead is a wake-up call to all of us. What could be the motive? What does anyone stand to gain by attempting to kill an Emir that is nearing eighty? The Emir of Kano stands out as one traditional ruler who does not seek favours from those in government and outside it, and who over the years has been able to live an exemplary life to the admiration of all. His record of achievements, the stability and candour he has brought to bear on the throne are virtues that will live for posterity. May Allah continue to grant him good health for today and the future.

"It is against this backdrop that I find it condemnable for anyone to attempt the Emir's life. I wish to advise the federal government to exploit the option of dialogue with members of the insurgent groups in order to arrest this prevailing drift in our national security.

"The use of force has proven to be inadequate and ineffective to checkmate this ugly trend. We must therefore put hands together to find a more rewarding and meaningful end to this security concern. Dialogue is my number one preference in this regard," he said.

Northern governors condemn attack

The Northern States Governors Forum (NSGF) has also condemned the attack on the Kano monarch.

The chairman of NSGF and Governor of Niger State, Dr. Babangida Aliyu, who gave the position of the forum yesterday in Minna, expressed sadness over the incident, describing it as a brazen act of terrorism and the height of insecurity in the country.

He said it was unfortunate that the incident happened at a time when the search for a lasting solution to the increasing cases of security challenges in the country was being pursued by the forum and all well meaning Nigerians.

The governor, in a statement signed by his deputy press secretary, Bala Bitrus, lambasted the attackers, describing them as faceless persons who are bent on instilling fear and creating a general state of apprehension across the country in order to achieve their selfish motives.

It's a sacrilegious act - PDP

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on its part described the attack as a sacrilegious assault on respected traditional institution.

The national publicity secretary of the party, Chief Olisa Metuh, while commiserating with the families of those who lost their lives in the attack, said the party was deeply saddened by the wave of attacks. He urged those behind the dastardly acts to have a change of heart.

Attack mindless - Kalu

Former governor of Abia State, Dr. Orji Uzor Kanu, has described the motive and those behind the attack as mindless.

Kalu, in a statement yesterday in reaction to Saturday's attack on Alhaji Bayero's convoy, said the attack also amounted to disrespect for the traditional institution.

Kalu, in the statement signed by his special adviser, Oyekunle Oyewunmi, called on the relevant authorities to bring those behind the attack to book.

Lagos speaker calls for state police

Speaker, Lagos State House of Assembly, Hon. Adeyemi Ikuforiji has condemned in strong terms, the gun attack which resulted in the death of the Emir's driver and some of his personal guards.

This was contained in a press statement signed by Mr. Rotimi Adebayo, his Chief Press Secretary yesterday.

The speaker and other members of the House commiserated with the Emir and his family.

"Though it is sad and highly unfortunate that you lost your driver and a number of your guards in the brutal attack on your convoy, we however thank the Almighty Allah for saving your precious life on the occasion. "We also pray that may the Almighty Allah continue to protect you, while we pray that He grants all the departed ones Fidau Aljanah", he said.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2013 Leadership. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.

InFocus

Arrests Made in Nigerian Emir's Convoy Attack

Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero

Four suspects have been taken into custody following the attack on the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero and his convoy, which killed at least three and left several others injured. Read more »