God wants you and I to succeed despite adversity. God's promises abound in scriptures. Consider the following passages: Job 5:20 "20In famine he shall redeem thee from death: and in war from the power of the sword."
Job 5:22 "22At destruction and famine thou shalt laugh: neither shalt thou be afraid of the beasts of the earth." Psalm 33:18-19 "18Behold, the eye of the Lord is upon them that fear him, upon them that hope in his mercy; 19To deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine." It even gets better, he will not only deliver you but he will make sure you are satisfied.
Psalm 37:18-19 "18The Lord knoweth the days of the upright: and their inheritance shall be forever. 19They shall not be ashamed in the evil time: and in the days of famine they shall be satisfied."
He did it before:
Deut 2:7 " For the Lord thy God hath blessed thee in all the works of thy hand: he knoweth thy walking through this great wilderness: these forty years the Lord thy God hath been with thee; thou hast lacked nothing."
Let us look at the examples of people who survived economic downturn.
• The widow woman of Zarephath who gave her last meal to the prophet Elijah and enjoyed the miracle of divine multiplication and supply during the time of severe famine- 1Kings 17:1-16
• Isaac, who sowed in the time of famine and received a harvest of a hundredfold the same year: Gen 26:1, 12-14
• Peter and the net breaking, boat sinking catch recorded in Luke 5:1-9
Things to do to stay afloat
There are four things that authorize God to intervene in your situation: Your obedience, your confession, your prayer and your seed.
1. Put fear and doubt away. What is doubt? It is believing an opinion that is contrary to the word of God. You are not sustained by the economy of this country or any country for that matter. You are a citizen of heaven and your supply comes from God. Turn off the news. All you hear these days is this job cut, that job cut and so forth. Even if you've lost your job you have not lost your source.
Every fear originates in unbelief. Fear is the manifestation of unbelief. For instance, you are afraid that if you plant all that you have, you may not receive the hundredfold harvest. You doubt the Word of God. You don't believe that He will do what He promised so you give what you are comfortable with; what you can afford to lose.
Jesus said, "Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught." They believed; they had reservations, but they did not surrender to them. They said, "We have toiled all night and taken nothing, nevertheless, at Your Word!" Is God asking you to do anything? Don't be afraid; take that step of faith.
2Tim 1:7 says, "7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." Deal with your doubts and your fears and never express them.
Deconstruct and reconstruct your mind. Israel had a mind set of 'we can't'. Israelites thought and behaved like grasshoppers. They fell and wasted like grasshoppers. Rebuke and flush out every demon of impossibility. Flush out every thought of impossibility in Jesus name.
You can achieve more than this. Fill yourself with the knowledge of the Word of God. Ignorance is one of the greatest causes of bondage. God's people perish for lack of knowledge. Isaiah 5:13 says, "13Therefore my people are gone into captivity, because they have no knowledge: and their honourable men are famished, and their multitude dried up with thirst." The bible says in Daniel 11:32b, "The people that know their God shall be strong and they shall do exploits". Get to know who you are in Christ. Get to know how protected and blessed you are in Christ.
2. Pay your tithe always. It is your covenant insurance Malachi 3:8-12. Leave the tree in the middle of the Garden alone. It belongs to God. Your tithe keeps you in. When you pay your tithe, you prove your obedience to God. At the same time, you prove that He can trust you with more; that you are a faithful steward. You also acknowledge Him as your source.
Those who fail to pay their tithe violate the first principle of a sweat-less life and they are chased out of God's provision to sweat for everything they have. They toil and till the ground for food rather than enjoy the abundant provisions of Almighty God. When you take what God has not given you, He withdraws what He has given you.
Stay away from anything that can cast you out of the Garden of divine provision. Stay away from sin and negative people. When you pay your tithe, instead of angels keeping you out of the Garden of divine provision, they keep away intruders from your garden. God rebukes the devourer for your sake. (To be continued...)
Rev (Dr) Olowojoba is Snr. Pastor of Dayspring Bible Church, Sabon-Lugbe, Abuja and President, Dayspring Christian Ministries International.