Egypt's chief prosecutor general Talaat Abdallah on Monday presented a memorandum to Port Said's Criminal Court to reopen the proceedings of the Port Said football massacre of last year in light of new evidence the fact-finding committee has uncovered.
Investigating the new evidence may reveal the involvement of new defendants in the case which prompted the prosecutor general to urgently send a memorandum requesting the reinvestigation of the case, spokesman of the general prosecution Hassan Yassin said.
Seventy three defendants are tried for killing 74 people and injuring hundreds during riots following a football match between al-Ahly and al-Masry clubs last February.
This procedure comes in light of the intensive investigations the "Revolution Protection Prosecution" is carrying out after the massacre's fact-finding committee revealed new evidence in the case, the Middle East News Agency (MENA) reported.
Thousands of al-Ahly Club Ultras (hardcore football fans) demonstrated last Friday in Cairo's Tahrir Square to demand justice for the victims.