25 January 2013

Zambia: I Was Beaten to Near-Death - Witness

A MINER has narrated in the Kitwe High Court how three men allegedly attacked and left him unconscious near Chingola Road Cemetery.

Keagan Mwape, 35 of Chambishi Township said he was beaten by three men who were armed with iron bars until he became unconscious.

Mr Mwape was testifying in a case in which Isaac Kapambala, 27, is charged with aggravated robbery.

It is alleged that Kapambala on May 29, last year armed with an iron bar, stole a mobile phone, a National Registration Card, a passport and an Automated Teller Machine (ATM) card all valued at KR700 (K700 000), from Mr Mwape.

Mr Mwape told High Court Judge Isaac Kamwendo during examination-in-chief led by senior State advocate Mapenzi Hamachila that his assailants hit him on the head and the whole body until he fainted.

He said on the material day he knocked off around midnight and boarded a mine bus.

He dropped off at the Chingola Road Cemetery on his way to Twatasha Township.

The witness said he later saw a group of men emerging from the bush and that Kapambala was one of them.

He said his assailants attacked him and went away with his phone, ATM card, employee's identity card and KR380 (K380,000) cash and that it was easy to identify them because he knew them.

Mr Mwape said he was left unconscious and was found by passersby who took him to Mindolo Police Station.

He was later taken to Kitwe Central Hospital where he was admitted for two weeks.

Trial continues.

Meanwhile, the Kabwe High Court has found three suspected bandits who held hostage and attacked a Chibombo family with a case to answer and placed them on their defence.

This is in a case in which Mulenga Mwenda, David Zulu and Trywell Kapata Sondashi all of Lusaka are jointly charged with two counts of Aggravated Robbery.

In the first count, the three while armed with an AK47 rifle and an axe on July 9, 2010 attacked and stole from Emmanuel Chimisa more than K5 million and two cellular phones after hitting him with a gun handle.

In the second count, the three attacked Pamela Chimisa and robbed her of her cellular phone.

During trial, Mr Chimisa narrated before Mr Justice Eddie Sikazwe that on the fateful night, he was home with his family when they heard some voices outside their yard.He heard people outside demanding to see him and that this forced him to hide behind the chair.

The criminals forced themselves in and started asking his wife for his whereabouts.

He said while hiding he was able to make a call to his friends within the area informing them that his family had been attacked.

Mr Chimisa said one of the accused persons saw him and hit him on the head.

Mr Justice Sikazwe has since set January 28 as date for defence.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2013 The Times of Zambia. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.