Aswat Masriya (Cairo)

27 January 2013

Egypt: Interior Ministry Denies Firing Teargas at Port Said Funeral

A security source from Egypt's interior ministry has denied reports that forces fired teargas at civilians during a funeral march in Port Said on Sunday.

The source said in a statement on Facebook that some people hurled Molotov cocktails and fired shots at police offices nearby the funeral which caused a fire.

Tens of thousands of Port Said residents rallied on Sunday to mourn 29 people who were killed in violence that erupted on Saturday when a court sentenced 21 defendants to death for their involvement in last year's deadly stadium riots.

Some mourners clashed with security forces when the former hurled stones and the latter fired live shots in the air and teargas to disperse them, several sources had reported.

An eyewitness told Aswat Masriya that the live shots caused no injuries but some civilians were transferred to the hospital after inhaling teargas.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2013 Aswat Masriya. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.