Most patients admitted to Mulago Hospital's Burns Unit are as a result of candles, the head of the unit Dr. Robert Sentongo has said.
He said about 66% of the patients admitted at the Burns Unit are children, adding that one third of the cases they receive are because of candles.
Speaking at a monthly press conference at Mulago Hospital, Sentongo said: "Whereas majority of people have been involved in income-generating activities by making candles, remember that the highest incidences of burns that we receive from houses result from candles," Sentongo said.
He advised the public to use water as first aid for treatment of all kinds of burns, including acid.
"If you are to use a candle, you should put it in a specific place where children cannot reach and where it cannot easily fall over," he said.
Sentongo also said that the unit had registered a decline in the number of acid victims, saying the Police must have done a lot of sensitisation.
"Of the acid victims we received last year, we lost two. In terms of survival, the situation was better compared to previous years and in terms of percentage of victims, we received 30 percent less," Sentongo added.
The unit, however, is faced with a big problem of limited number staff to work on patients.