Ondjiva — The cases of malaria in Angola's southern Cunene have been dropping significantly in Angola's southern Cunene province, after the local health authorities recorded 43,492 last year, against 87,451 in the previous period.
The information was released Monday in the province's capital city, Ondjiva, by the provincial director of Health, Elauterio Hivilikua.
This figures indicate a drop of 43,890 cases of malaria, the official said, adding that this encourages the health workers to continue their effort in the fight against the disease that is responsible for Angola's and Africa's highest death rate, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO):
Eleutério Hivilikua also said that the cases diagnosed in 2012 resulted in the death of 299 people, mostly children from zero to five years of age and expectant women.
He said this is the result of an intense action of prevention and first aid care in the fight against the disease, including intra and extra domiciliary insecticide spray campaigns in the municipalities of Cunene province.
The measures include the distribution of insecticide-impregnated mosquito nets and pamphlets teaching the populations the steps to use the equipment.
The southern Cunene province currently has 149 healthcare units in the localities of Curoca, Kahama, Ombadja, Namacunde, Cuvelai and Kwanhama.