An engineer and an investor in Kisumu were yesterday charged with manslaughter after seven people died in a collapsed building two weeks ago.
Samuel Otieno Olola, Kisumu council engineer, and Vinod Kumar Pal, who is the owner of the collapsed building, denied the offence. They appeared before Kisumu chief magistrate Lucy Gitari. They were released on a Sh2 million bond and similar surety or a Sh1 million bail.
The two alongside others not in the court were accused of killing Peter Okoth, Jared Otieno, Johannes Otieno, Dennis Onyango Otieno, Eric Kerini, Cyrus Otieno, Stephen Otieno. They allegedly injured 30 other people .
The unfinished five-storey building on the Kenyatta Highwacollapsed on January 16 killing seven of the workers inside and injuring 30 others.
The accused, through their lawyers applied for bond, saying they have been cooperative since they were arrested last week on Friday. The case will be heard on February 12.
The chief magistrate ordered the accused to report to the investigating officer every seven days before their next hearing. Police investigation revealed the building collapsed because of poor workmanship. The prosecutor called on the magistrate to give the accused stuff bond due to the severity of the case.
The prosecution said some of the victims in the collapse building have not recorded statement due to their medical condition. and some family members are yet to record their statement. They said more charges will be preferred against the two once investigations are complete.