Reports says fire gutted the Legislative Information Service (LIS) at the National Legislature yesterday evening due to what is yet to be established but it is largely perceived to be electrical shock. Thanks to the Liberia National Fire Service and the fire team of the Liberia Petroleum Refinery Corporation as well as the operations division of the Liberia National Police for their timely interventions.
The degree of damage it yet to be released as well as the actual cause of the fire incident but news of the fire incident was made public by Bomi County Senator Sando Dazoe Jonhson who was still in the building.
According to Sen. Johnson, when he got the news of fire outbreak in a part of the building, he ran from his second floor offices to the department of the ground floor where the fire had already gutted. He said they were about only two senators in the entire building when the incident started so he called the Speaker and Pro-Tempore informing them about the situation.
The chairperson on the House Committee on Rules and Order, Representative Edwin Snowe said he got the new from the Speaker and immediately ran to the scene but said he was barred from entering the building along with other staff and lawmakers until the fire fighters can declare the building safe for entry.
Rep. Snowe said the incident is not only worrisome for members of the Legislature but for the entire country. He said no human causality was recorded but that the fire which began around 7 p.m. started from the sealed LIS department which contains legislative records and other valuable items as well as the library.