Lagos — LAGOS State Government, Wednesday, asked residents not to panic as it had put adequate measures in place to reduce cases of flooding to the barest minimum in the state this year.
Commissioner of Environment, Tunji Bello, at a briefing on the work plan and activities of the ministry for the year 2013, noted that drainages and road construction projects contributed to the flood recorded last year.
According to him, at the end of year 2012, the government dredged 70 primary channels across 20 local government areas totaling about 32.3 killometres.
He said 330 secondary collectors' drains were cleared to complement the free flow of storm water into the primary channels, stressing that the constructions of new channels at Awori/Moricas, Elere, Arigbanla, Gbagada, among others, would help tackle flood when the heavy rainfall commences.
Bello said; "Over 25 projects are expected to be constructed to further de-flood some major areas of the state," noting that over 50 primary channels had also been programmed for maintenance.
Bello listed some of the projects for construction to include construction of Coconut Drain Reach 11, Ajegunle, channelisation of storm water at Ajegunle, construction of Shogbesan/Raypower collector drain Alimosho, construction of Mumuni Adio collector drain Ijegun, among others.