PROPERTY worth Sh10 million was on Wednesday morning razed down following a fire outbreak at a garage block in Koleni area in the Nakuru Town West Constituency.
The fire believed to have been caused by an electric fault at about 4am in one of the workshops in the garage. "The watchman said the fire started from one of the workshops. It must have been caused by an electric fault," said Mike Mwanzia, one of the proprietors.
"We don't know how we are going to explain to the vehicle owners, whose vehicles went up in flames, of the damages," said Mwanzia. The garage is one of the many which are erected in the area, strategically located at the busy Nakuru-Eldoret highway.
Among other properties that were lost in the fire included the wares belonging to the businesswomen selling foodstuff to the mechanics. The garage is famed for panel beating, selling truck and tractor spare parts and battery repairs.
Services of the over 200 mechanics who were operating from the garage have now been disrupted as they will have to wait for repairs and restocking of the workshops.
"We have to find other alternatives before the owners repair the workshops and buy new stocks because some of the spares cannot be used again," said Joseph Okita, one of the mechanics who was based at the garage.