Khartoum — Sudanese governments and rebel groups deny humanitarian access to many parts of the Jebel Marra area in Central Darfur, said Eduardo del Buey, Deputy Spokesperson for the UN Secretary-General on Thursday.
The Sudan Liberation Movement led by Abdel Wahid Al-Nur (SLM -AW) seized Golo and Jaldo, mountainous area of Jebel Marra on 24 and 28 December. Since, the Sudanese army, which attempt to retake these positions, clashed several times with the rebel group.
In a meeting on 9 January with the deputy UNAMID chief Aichatou Mindaoudou in Zaleingi, the governor of Central Darfur state, Youssef Tibin ,said some 850 families had been displaced and fled to Nertiti village as a result of the fighting.
"The African Union United Nations Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) reports that access to many parts of the Jebel Marra area remains blocked due to sporadic clashes between government forces and armed movements", Eduardo said in a statement released on Thursday.
He further stressed on the need to allow the joint mission, UN agencies and humanitarian partners full access to affected populations in Darfur region.
The hybrid mission also repeated its call to all parties to cease fighting and remains engaged in facilitating reconciliation efforts.