5 February 2013

Namibia: Rehoboth Probes Housing Allowance Payments

THE Rehoboth Town Council stopped the payment of housing allowances to its staff this month because of discrepancies in the payment of the allowance.

Council staff complained to The Namibian last week that the allowance to those who rent accommodation was discontinued without even informing the employees.

"We do not know why they did so ... My question is, where is the money going to," an angry council worker said.

The municipality's CEO, Theo Jankowski, on Thursday said that the finance and human resources departments had detected that some employees were erroneously paid out housing allowances, and that the allowance was stopped for this month to rectify these errors.

The local government ministry some time ago directed that employees who own houses may receive 30 percent of their basic salary as a housing allowance, while those who rent accommodation may receive 15 percent.

Jankowski said among the latter group, some received a 23 percent housing allowance.

He said the council had decided that the corrections would not be made retroactively, hence the decision to withhold the erroneously calculated housing allowances.

Copyright © 2013 The Namibian. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.