The House of Representatives on Tuesday urged the Federal Government to suspend the planned commencement of computer-based test for the 2013 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations ( UTME).
It invited the Minister of Education, Prof. Rukayyatu Rufa'i and the Registrar, Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB), to appear before the House Committee on Education to explain the reason behind the policy.
It further urged JAMB to explain the law that empowered it to contract out the conduct of examination to private firms and to name these firms.
This resolution emanated from a motion moved by Rep. Aliyu Madaki ( PDP-Kano), which was unanimously adopted without debate.
According to Madaki, JAMB has fixed the year 2015 as the terminal date to end its paper and pencil based examination.
He said that JAMB had resolved to adopt the computer based test method for the JAMB UTME 2013 slated for April 27.
Madaki noted that the UTME organised and conducted by JAMB had been characterised with controversies.
The legislator said that there was no adequate sensitisation and preparation for the policy to commence before the planned date of 2015.
"There was no clear cut modus operandi for the computer-based test method because JAMB itself lacked the competence and facilities to conduct the examinations," he said.
He said that the selection of the private firms was not advertised and no bidding was done as required by the public procurement Act.