8 February 2013

Gambia: Mambury Njie Released On Bail

Mr Mambury Njie rejoined his family on Wednesday 6 February 2012 after he was released on bail, the same day he was granted bail with revised conditions.

On Wednesday, upon the application of his counsel Mr. Njie was granted bail on the revised condition that "the sureties shall be lease holders of properties situated within Greater Banjul which collective value must not be less than D15,000,000.00.

" The bail granted shall lapse upon the filing of a formal bill of indictment. Up to date, no formal indictment has been brought against him.

It could be recalled that he was detained on 14 December 2012, after being arraigned at the Banjul Magistrates' Court. The magistrates' court referred the matter to the High Court on the grounds of lack of jurisdiction.

Mr Njie had served as Minister under the following portfolios in the current government: Economic Planning and Industrial Development, from July 2010 to February 2011; Minister of Finance and Economic Affairs, February 2011 - April 2012; Minister of Foreign Affairs, International Cooperation and Gambians Abroad, April 2012 to date; and Minister of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology.

Copyright © 2013 FOROYAA Newspaper. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.