New Era (Windhoek)

Namibia: Walvis Bay Gets Eco-Friendly Waste MGMT System

Walvis Bay — The Walvis Bay Municipality commissioned an N$180 000 waste collection system, known as the Molok deep collection system as one of its eco-friendly initiatives.

Four Molok systems are already operational at the town and 19 more will be installed in due course. One Molok system will replace up to 40 bins at the town and will be installed at strategic places that produce most waste at the town such as hotels, retail shops and apartment blocks.

During the recent commissioning of the system, the mayor of Walvis Bay Uilika Namhabu said she is proud that Walvis Bay is among the leading local authorities in Namibia that embrace eco-friendly innovations. "This deep collection system places the Port City of Walvis Bay on par with first world cities when it comes to waste collection and offers better solutions than conventional waste collection systems," Nambahu said.

She further said the installation of the system would give the town, known for its cleanness a further boost. According to the manager of the solid waste and environmental department, David Ushona, the Molok system is an innovative waste management system that offers a clean, effective and efficient collection point for a variety of waste types and situations.

"The system is more compact and hygienic than conventional methods and odour free. It also offers supreme advantages, particularly where space is limited," he said. He added that only 40 percent of the container is visible, while the remaining 60 percent is underground. "The design has more storage capacity within less space, more compaction, and fewer collections," he explained.

Ushona says the system was introduced to local authorities during the Association of Local Authorities (ALAN) conference that was held last year in Windhoek. Four towns in the country namely Walvis Bay, Windhoek, Rundu and Ondangwa were nominated to visit Finland and to view the system. The City of Windhoek already makes use of the eco-friendly waste management system.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2013 New Era. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.