14 February 2013

Gambia: Drug Peddler Withdraws Appeal

One Musa Camara Mboob, a drug convict serving a ten-year jail term, yesterday told the Gambia Court of Appeal, presided over by Justice M.M Agyemang, Justice Emmanuel Fagbenle and Justice M.F. Singhateh that he was withdrawing his notice filed before the said court.

Musa Camara Mboob was convicted and sentenced to serve a 10-year imprisonment term for the offence of being in possession of prohibited drugs contrary to the Laws of The Gambia by the Anti-Narcotic Court in Banjul.

When the matter came up, the appellant was asked who his legal counsel was, and he mentioned Lawyer Antouman A. B. Gaye as his lawyer.

Justice M.M. Agyemang then said that on the last adjourned date, the appellant was asked to file briefs, but she has noticed that both the state and the appellant have not yet done so.

At this juncture, the appellant, Musa Camara Mboob informed the court that he intended to withdraw his appeal, noting that he had already served nine years out of the ten years he was imprisoned.

When asked if he had informed Lawyer Antouman Gaye, the appellant replied in the negative.

Meanwhile, Justice M.M. Agyemang struck out the said appeal.

Copyright © 2013 The Daily Observer. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.