A WINDHOEK resident who was arrested on a murder charge following a fatal shooting incident over the past weekend has finally received medical attention, after a magistrate ordered the police to ensure that he receives medical care for injuries allegedly sustained in a police assault.
Claims that Jackson Panduleni Absalom (26) had been denied medical treatment for injuries caused by an assault on him were relayed to Magistrate Johannes Shuuveni when Absalom made a first appearance on a murder charge in the Windhoek Magistrate's Court in Katutura on Tuesday.
The magistrate made an order directing the station commander of the Wanaheda Police Station to ensure that Absalom is taken to receive medical care. That order was complied with Wednesday morning, candidate attorney Garth Joseph, who appeared for Absalom in court, said.
Absalom is accused of having killed the 33-year-old Tobias Absai in Okuryangava on Saturday night.
Absai died from a gunshot wound.
The police indicated on Sunday that Absai had been a member of a community organisation trying to combat crime, and that he was killed while members of the organisation were reacting to an attempted robbery at a party.
Absalom's lawyer, Richard Metcalfe, stated in a letter directed to the police's Khomas regional commander on Tuesday that Absalom's instructions are that he had acted in self-defence when the shooting occurred.
A police spokesperson, Inspector Kauna Shikwambi, said yesterday that Absalom has a right to open a case of alleged assault with the police. The matter would then be investigated by the police's internal investigation unit, and if evidence is found of an assault as claimed, steps would be taken against the implicated person or persons.
Absalom's case was postponed to March 5 for further investigations to be done.
The magistrate ordered that he must stay in custody in the meantime.