A 13-year-old boy has cried foul after missing on a chance to join Starehe Boys Centre and School.
John Makokha who sat his Kenya Certificate of Primary Education examination at Marell academy last year scored 396 marks. During the just concluded national schools selection, he was selected by Starehe.
The news was, however, short-lived. His letter was not sent to the Bungoma county education office where his schoolmates picked admission letters from Starehe.
When his father, Amos Makoha a Bungoma-based lawyer, followed up with Starehe, he was allegedly told that although his son had been selected by the school, he could not be admitted because he had not selected the school as the first choice but had instead chosen Mang'u High.
"I didn't tell them to select my son and by selecting him, they denied him chance to get another national school," he said.
He has expressed concern that though his son passed with flying colours, he may not be admitted to Form One because those who got admission letters reported to school on Wednesday last week. Makoha as asked the ministry of education to intervene.
"This is impunity of the highest order and I believe this is whatmany innocent children experience,"he said.
Ministry of Education records seen by the Star show that John Wisdom Makokha of index number36602165017 4 had been selected for Starehe boys. The school principal, Paul Mugo, could not be reached for comment as his phone went unanswered.