The MEC for Education in KwaZulu Natal, Senzo Mchunu has expressed great shock at the news of the brutal killing of yet another school child in Umkhanyakude District. The news comes barely three days after the burial of a 15-year old learner from Zwilenkosi Junior Secondary School who was raped and killed and dumped in a forest in the same district.
"These incidents have shaken us to the core. They make us question the psyche of these criminals who go around committing such heinous crimes without sparing a thought to the family and the victims themselves. We are deeply saddened by these atrocious incidents. Our thoughts go out to the bereaved families," MEC Senzo Mchunu said.
The latest incident involves a 14-year old, Grade 8 learner from Lifalethu High School. She disappeared on Tuesday the 12th of February and was only discovered in the bush on Monday the 18th February. The body was found with severe injuries to the neck - suggesting she may have been hacked with an axe. This incident took place about 5 km away from last week's rape and murder scene.
"Although saddened by these brutal incidents, we are consoled by the fact that one suspect is in police custody for the first rape and murder. We certainly hope that the perpetrators of second murder will be court and face the full might of the law," said MEC Mchunu.