THE Indian doctor who saved the voice and made it easy to breathe for a 45-yearold Tanzanian woman after a goitre surgery went wrong, is expected in Dar es Salaam this week.
The woman, Ms Zuleta Ahmeda, had thyroid problems last year and was diagnosed with goitre and after undergoing surgery in Tanzania, started experiencing problems, when the nerves in her larynx were erroneously cut. According to an article that appeared in the Bangalore Mirror in India on April 24, 2012, after the surgery in Tanzania she developed bilateral vocal cord paralysis which made it difficult for her to talk or breathe.
Everyone has two vocal cords in his or her larynx (voice box). The vocal cords vibrate during speech to produce voice. If one or both vocal cords are unable to move then the person will experience voice problems and possibly breathing and swallowing problems.
This is vocal cord paralysis. "She could not speak and was quite breathless after the surgery went wrong. She was put on a tube for artificial breathing. We consulted many doctors but even though they knew what the problem was, they were not confident about doing a surgery," her husband, Bashemela Seif, a teacher and administrator, was quoted to have said.
The article reported that Mr Seif took his wife to Nova Specialty Surgery where she underwent a procedure called laser cordotomy, endoscopic surgery in which a focused laser beam is used to make an incision in one vocal cord. The cord then stretches along the cut edge opening the airway unlike traditional surgeries where the laser separated edges heal quickly.