Clubs said be 'ghost' are in the process of being disenfranchised by the Gambia Football Association ahead of the un-dated elective congress.
A number of clubs risked being sliced off the voting list during the congress by the FA acting on the 'criteria' of FIFA, it emerged yesterday during a press conference conveyed at the GFA's headquarters in Kanifing.
According to Omar Sey, the plan would be effected to wipe off inactive 'ghost' clubs making the numbers in the voters' list to avert giving unfair advantage and the process is to kick-start 'in the next five days'He said.
The swift disclosure comes barely days after FIFA's rejection of the validated draft by the GFA delegates which witnessed major overhaul of the document at the December 8th adoptive congress.
Gauging the mechanisms to be used in disenfranchising the lot, he stated, "If your team has not been playing regular football under the auspices of the GFA, you played football over the years, GFA didn't provide you with a referee, there is no match report, there is nothing, then don't expect to come on to the next congress. We hope to do it in the next four or five days"
Mr. Sey's remarks are likely to be met with discontent and outrage from the twenty-eight clubs that registered during last year's gathering.
The world football governing body rubbishing the validated dossier mentioned of irregularities, which it said, marred the entire event. Making a synopsis of the motive for FIFA's dismissal of the document, Mr Sey doubling as the unelected Normalising body's spokesperson states", The area where it talked about regional football association which is completely out and that is detrimental to effective and proper decentralization of football which is the basic principle that FIFA is after. Decentralise football and build it in the form of a pyramid that was lacking. The membership was greatly affected at the Dec 8 congress. The number of clubs, if you add it, they came up to 28. What was indicated by draft was that there is no area that will have excessive control of authority or numbers over the other. It was calculated, we worked on it for two months but that was thrown out. Proper structuring of football but that was also thrown out at congress", Said Mr. Sey.
March elective congress to be pushed further
Doubts have long since overshadowed possibility of sticking to March as the stipulated date of congress due to the long drawn out saga that dominated newspaper back pages over the last five months between the GFA and its stakeholders.
The red-hot subject of approval of the constitution led to twice extension of congress date and it remained to be seen whether the Normalisation Committee's pronouncement of yet another extension albeit weeks, could trigger a palaver.
Initially taking a coy approach when questioned over specific date for congress, an elaborative Mr. Sey made a roundabout before treating the question with a deserving answer.
"When I spoke to Primo [FIFA head of Legal division] Wednesday morning, he said I know you have a dateline, but you may wish to consider extending it for the purpose of preparing properly for that elective congress. I said I don't think we will need an extension because we are also very eager and anxious to conclude this issue once and for all. I said I don't think there will be need [to extend]. When I reported to the executive, we discussed that we only need time to follow the status and the regulations. To have a congress you need to give it two weeks notice-fourteen days. After that, you need another fourteen days to organise elective congress. We will try to squeeze in together. Even if it is going to be extended maybe it is going to be a couple of weeks. We have already discussed this in-house and we have agreed on that", Explained Sey.