Yola — No fewer than five persons were reported killed, Saturday, in Wukari, Taraba, when adherents of two religious groups engaged each other in a violent clash.
Several people also sustained injuries, while hundreds of houses and business premises, including places of worship, were razed by the warring groups.
This is as a splinter group of the Islamic Boko Haram group, led by Sheikh Abdulaziz Ibn Adam on Saturday insisted that it was ready to dialogue with government to the group's current ceasefire campaign.
The Taraba State Police Public Relations Officer, Mr Amos Olaoye, who confirmed the incident, said normalcy has returned to the town.
He said the crisis erupted in the early hours of Saturday and that it was ignited by an argument between some youths at a training session on a football pitch.
Olaoye explained that the clash later turned violent, following the killing of one of the youths in the course of argument.
It was learnt that in the ensuing mayhem, dangerous weapons were used by the youths, while residents were forced to flee their homes.
The police spokesman said some of the injured victims were being treated at the General Hospital, Wukari and other health centres in the town.
The state's Acting Governor, Alhaji Garuba Umar, has also declared a curfew from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. in the town to prevent the escalation of the crisis.
He urged the people to shun violence and embrace peace, saying that the curfew would be relaxed as soon as normalcy returned.
Boko Haram group insist on ceasefire
A splinter group of the Islamic Boko Haram group, led by Sheikh Abdulaziz Ibn Adam on Saturday insisted that it was ready to dialogue with government to the group's current bloody campaign.
Ibn Adam made the announcement at a news conference in Maiduguri.
He said that the group had come to realise that it could not achieve its aim through violence.
"You will recall that we announced a cease fire last month as a precondition for talks with government.
"But sadly after a few days of respite, violent began again in the country," he said.
Ibn Adam said that the group was not responsible for the renewed violence in some parts of Borno.
"Those currently engaged in this violence are not our people because our people are obedient to their leaders.
"Since the leadership has asked them to cease fire, they won't continue with violence," he said.
Ibn Adam said that the group would go after those who still engaged in violent campaign since they had been warned severally.
He said that the leader of the sect Sheikh Abubabak Shekau was behind the cease fire agreement and hence all members must abide or face sanctions.