Police prosecutor Sergeant 1933 A.M. Jah, who is prosecuting the alleged US$38,400 (thirty-eight thousand, four hundred United States dollars) defrauded from a Korea businessman, Keum Young Chang for the purchase of diamond, last week urged Magistrate Komba Kamanda not to grant bail to the first and second accused persons on the grounds that the crime committed is heinous and it would be dangerous to set them free on bail.
Sergeant Jah reminded the court that the defence counsel had noted that there was no case against the second and third accused persons, but that the complainant told the court both accused persons were present at the inception of the deal at the Hotel 5-10, Kissy Quarry. He said the complainant told the court that he handed over the money and the diamond to the first and second accused at one Alhaji's office, while him and the first accused left for the Government
Gold and Diamond Office (GGDO), leaving the second accused behind, but that as they approached the GGDO, they saw the second accused coming out of the office, where he claimed of being an employee, which according to him, implied he has been working in consonant with the first accused.
The prosecutor further said that the second accused again, in his statement to the police, claimed that he is a businessman selling used clothing at Rawdon Street in Freetown. He further explained that the aid provided by the third accused leading to the arrest of the second accused showed that he has been working in concert with him, hence part of the conspiracy. Sergeant Jah said the second and first accused left the GGDO without the knowledge of the complainant and that their dodging indicated that both of them were working in common desire and purpose. It could be recalled that defence lawyers S.K.Koroma and F.B. Conteh had made an application for the second and third accused persons to be discharged because "there is no case against them". Magistrate Kamanda adjourned the matter to February 26 for ruling.