Arusha Times (Arusha)

2 March 2013

Tanzania: Plans Underway Re-Draw Arusha City Master Plan

The National Housing Corporation intends to establish two new satellite cities in Meru and Arusha-Rural Districts as the Ministry of Lands, Housing and Human Settlements plans to redraw the Arusha city master plan.

"We own more than 1000 acres of vacant land in the localities that we intend to develop into new satellite cities not to overshadow or make the existing Arusha City obsolete but rather to complement the fast growing urban center which serves as the capital for the East African Community," stated the NHC Managing Director, Mr Nehemia Kyando-Mchechu last week.

Mr Mchechu explained that the NHC owns 600 acres in Burka area of Arusha-Rural and 300 other acres in Meru District all of which will provide land for the two proposed satellite cities whose feasibility studies have already been undertaken.

The Minister for Lands, Housing and Human Settlement, Dr Anna Tibaijuka on Wednesday inaugurate new residential apartments being constructed by the National Housing Corporation in Levolosi area of Arusha City, a project which complements the NHC mission to 'house the nation.'

"I have just held talks with the Arusha Regional Commissioner, Mr Megessa Mulongo and together have agreed to re-draw the master plan for Arusha city because this urban center is the pearl of Tanzania's tourism and diplomatic activities," said Dr Tibaijuka.

The Minister pointed out that, it was also time for the Land and Settlement Ministry to establish special windows that will be providing special house loans to Tanzanians in all banks and other financial institutions in the country.

"The founder of our nation, Mwalimu Julius Nyerere knew the importance of quality residential units for Tanzanian citizens and that is why he started with the formation of the National Housing Corporation in 1962," said Dr Tibaijuka.

She added that, the government later established the Tanzania Housing Bank (THB) to help people secure loans or mortgages in order to own homes but unfortunately the THB went bankrupt.

Her is bracing to resurrect the same initiative but this time through opening special loaning windows in existing banks.

NHC, a state-owned and Tanzania's oldest public real-estate developer, also has plans to build a total of 15,000 housing units countrywide, with 70 percent of these houses are to be put up for sale and the remaining 30 percent will be rented out.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2013 Arusha Times. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.