4 March 2013

Kenya/Seychelles: Gor Mahia Cruise Past Anse Reunion

Kenyan side Gor Mahia cruised past Seychelles club Anse Reunion with a 5-0 score in the Orange CAF Confederation Cup match played at the Unity Stadium on Mahé at the weekend. Gor Mahia had been frustrated by the Seychelles cup winners at home in Nairobi a fortnight ago as it ended goalless despite their total domination. However Gor Mahia got off to the best start as they opened the scoring in the first minute of the match as Moses Odhiambo Ouma pulled back a corner kick to the penalty edge to Raphael Mugai Klongera whose fierce low shot went in via the post to open the score at 1-0.

This goal stunned the local team the home crowd which had just taken their seats whilst the Kenyans were boosted by this dream start. Gor Mahia then went on to dominate their opponents as they enjoyed the bulk of possession whilst Anse Reunion struggled to keep pace with their opponents. Anse Reunion's Roderick Rose tried to beat goalkeeper and captain Jerim Frederick Onyango with a long range effort in the eleventh minute which he easily saved. Six minutes later, the Kenyan side stretched their advantage after Salim Rama Mohamed cut inside on the right to link up with Klongera.

Klongera weaved his way past his marker to blast the ball into the roof of the net to make it 2-0 to send their Kenyan fans in the stadium into wild celebrations.

Four minutes later Gor Mahia went further ahead as Salim Mohamed lofted a ball into the box to the unmarked Ivan Anguyo who stooped to head past goalkeeper Ricky Rose to give their side a 3-0 unassailable lead. Gor Mahia were ripping open the Anse Reunion's defence at will as they missed the presence of Armantal Ernesta who was injured. Klongera and Jumba both sprung Anse Reunion's offside trap to find themselves one on one with goalkeeper Ricky Rose but he managed to stop them in their strides. Anse Reunion, who had to defend for long periods, had another half chance in the 41st minute as Hubert Ernesta did well to thread a pass to Malagasy Hugo Sezou but goalkeeper Onyango dived at his feet to deny him.

The second half was a similar scenario as the Kenyans coached by Logarvsic controlled the tempo of the match as they had a monopoly of the ball. On the hour mark, Gor Mahia made it 4-0 as Jumba laid the ball to substitute Kevin Omondi Obwaka before racing clear to collect the return pass. Jumba coolly rounded goalkeeper Ricky Rose before slotting the ball into an empty net to increase their score.

The Kenyans put the icing on the cake in the seventy-fourth minute with a well constructed goal as Anguyo and substitute Danny Muzeyi combined before the latter sprung forward before pulling the ball back to Obwaka who headed home his team's fifth goal much to the delight of the small but quite vocal Kenyan supporters in the stands.

Copyright © 2013 Confederation of African Football. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.