No party has indicated that it would reject the results announced by the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission. The commission's chairman Issack Hassan said they are working in close collaboration with the party agents and their ICT officers.
"We are meeting with political party agents to explain to them the ICT hitch we experienced on Monday night. However, we have made it clear to them that we can only handle those issues within our mandate and they can seek the courts' intervention for the rest," Hassan said.
IEBC yesterday appointed deputy CEO Wilson Shollei the focal person to handle political party complaints. "So far, none of the parties or candidates have indicated that they will reject the results," Hassan said during the media briefing at the National Election Centre.
The chair issued a warning to IEBC officials that they will bear individual responsibility in case they are found to have engaged in electoral malpractices.
Hassan said the commission will cancel results that do not reconcile with the number of registered voters per polling station. "We are not here to change the will of the people. Any electoral officer who commits any electoral offence will bear individual responsibility," he said.
The Elections Act and the Electoral Code of Conduct spells out penalties ranging from a fine of Sh200,000 to Sh1million or five years imprisonment or both to any official found to be engaged in electoral malpractise.