Malian President Plays Down UN Atrocities Accusations

Photo: Sidwaya
Malian military.

Mali's interim President Dioncounda Traoré played down a UN report's charges that his country's troops had carried out reprisals against some ethnic groups during the French-led offensive in the north.

"I am not aware of so many abuses," Traoré said during a visit to the Senegalese capital, Dakar, on Tuesday.

"The media should not be echoing statements that do not correspond to reality" and reminiscent of "imaginary abuses", he said after meeting Senegalese leader Macky Sall at the end of a two-day visit.

Since French, Malian and west African troops drove armed Islamist groups out of most of northern Mali, which they had controlled for several months, ethnic groups have been targeted for reprisals, according to the preliminary findings of a UN mission to Mali last month.

Members of the Peuhl, Tuareg and Arab ethnic groups were being targeted, Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Kyung-wha Kang told the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva on Tuesday.

"The situation has been exacerbated by the propagation of inflammatory messages, including through the media, stigmatising members of these communities, thousands of whom have reportedly fled out of fear of reprisal by the Malian army," she said.

"Those who remain in the country are afraid of being targeted not for what they have done, but for who they are."

The report also reports abuses by the Islamists when they controlled the north, an aspect of the conflict that Traoré chose to stress.

"We have seen foreigners violate, violate, cut off hands and feet," he told the Dakar press conference.

But he also promised that "any person guilty of abuses will be held accountable before national or international courts".

The French foreign ministry on Wednesday pledged in a tweet that French forces would be "very attentive" to the possibility of reprisals.

In other news on the Mali conflict:

French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said the UN is likely to vote next month on a peacekeeping force for Mali that could comprise up to 10,000 troops and be deployed in June;

Mali's media closed down on Tuesday to protest at the arrest of Boukary Daou, an editor who published a letter criticising former junta chief Captain Amadou Sanogo;

Rwandan Foreign Affairs Minister Louise Mushikiwabo said her country will not contribute troops to the west African force, Afisma, during a visit by her Malina counterpart Tiéman Coulibaly but expressed support for its operation in Mali.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2013 Radio France Internationale. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.

InFocus

Mali Arrests Ex-Defense Chief

Malian soldiers along with their French counterparts (file photo).

Former defense minister Yamoussa Camara has been arrested in connection with the 2012 killings of 21 paratroopers who were loyal to ousted president Amadou Toumani Toure. Read more »

Mali Plays Down UN Atrocities Report

Malian military.

As Mali's media undertakes a news blackout to protest against the jailing of a newspaper editor who published a letter alleging soldiers face poor conditions in battle, the ... Read more »