The National Oil Company of Liberia (NOCAL) has announced a new round of vetting for its foreign scholarship program.
The company is offering scholarships in several technical and other related fields including Geology, Drilling Engineering, Petrophysics, Geophysics, Petroleum Geology, Petroleum Engineering, Petroleum Economics, and Petroleum Law. Other disciplines are Environmental Science, Petroleum Data Management, Petroleum Accounting/Finance and Chemical Engineering.
The one-month period for receiving applications has already begun, and will end on April 11, 2013. The exercise is in furtherance of NOCAL’s policy to build local capacity and capability needed to support Liberia’s emerging oil and gas sector. 90 percent of the new scholarship awards will be granted to applicants interested in pursuing science related petroleum studies. The remaining 10 percent will be allotted to non-petroleum related disciplines.
The foreign scholarship scheme is geared towards building the technical skills of young Liberians in oil and gas sector. This is necessitated by increased interest in the country’s oil and gas potential and its prospects of becoming an oil producer in the near future.
More than 30 Liberians have benefited from the foreign scholarship scheme since its inception in the fields of Petroleum Accounting, Energy Economics, Petroleum Law, Petroleum Finance & Taxation, Oil & Gas Management, Oil & Gas Economics, Petroleum Management, Petroleum Engineering, among others.