Vanguard (Lagos)

Nigeria: Kano Blasts Meant to Cause Another Civil War, Say Emir of Kano, NLC

Photo: Vanguard
Kano bus blast

The Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero and the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, have declared that the motive behind last Monday's bomb attack on a motor park in Kano which claimed the lives of more that 75 passengers was to cause another civil war even as the Federal Government warned that it will no longer tolerate wanton destruction of lives and property in the country.

This was even as traditional rulers in the South East geopolitical zone, yesterday, in Enugu, urged Igbo to remain calm over the bombing which claimed the lives of many people from the area.

The Ohanaeze Ndigbo had said on Wednesday that it could no longer guarantee the response of its people to the continued killings of Ndigbo in some northern states.

The NLC and Emir spoke at separate occasions in Kano and Abuja respectively.

Alhaji Bayero who spoke while receiving the visiting Federal Government delegation to his palace noted that there was no other reason behind this ungodly act (bombing) than to create tension and cause chaos in the country even as the NLC expressed optimism that, "we will overcome them if we refuse to fall for their ploy, by not carrying out reprisal attacks."

*Burnt luxury buses AFP PHOTO

Bayero said, "I feel saddened to hear everyday that somebody has been killed here or there; yet we cannot figure out what is happening, and who is behind this. I feel the Federal Government should do more to fish out the perpetrators of these heinous acts to free Nigeria and indeed, our state from the festering mess.

"Something is missing in this whole circle of violence, and I feel that government should do more to fish out the real people behind this orgy of violence. Nigerians were living harmoniously both in Kano and I believe all over the federation regardless of tribe and religion but all of a sudden, we now find ourselves in this mess. Government should wake up and confront the challenge."

The Emir who was a victim of a recent attack by some unidentified gunmen, added that, "in my assessment, Nigeria is in a serious situation; the killings everyday of citizenry will certainly not augur well for the nation and that is why I believe that somebody is behind this which demands that government must fish out whoever is behind it now."

He, however, expressed concern over the non-implementation of suggestions submitted to the Presidency by the Northern Elders some eight months ago despite the assurances by the government to do so.

Northern elders flay non-implementation of position

The Northern Elders through Alhaji Yusuf Maitama Sule had earlier complained to Bayero over the non-implementation of its position paper submitted to the Presidency on ways to resolve the crisis in the North.

The elders who visited the Emir included Justice Mustahpa Akanbi, Yahaya Kwande, Sheik Lemu, Paul Unongo, Air Marshal Lamis Dagash, John Wash Pam, Sani Zangon Daura, General Abdulrahaman Dambazau among others.

But, the NLC in a statement asked Nigerians not to be intimidated by the various bombs and suicide attacks, saying that the masterminds were evil forces who were incapable of advancing any cause except evil.

Labour also urged Nigerians to rise in unison and with common accord to preach peace and unity in the country, as according to it, "these are difficult moments indeed but we must rise to the challenge in the hope that in the end, good shall triumph over evil."

The NLC statement was signed by its Acting President, Comrade Promise Adewusi.

Perpetrators evil--NLC

According to Labour, "The NLC condemns the unjustifiable act of horror perpetrated in Kano by yet to be identified bombers which left scores of passengers and other users of a motor park dead. It was cowardly and shameful and incapable of advancing any cause except evil. The Congress believes that no cause is worth killing innocent Nigerians for.

If motor parks where ordinary people use or eke out their daily living are no longer safe, where else could be safe? Yet we urge the people of Nigeria and citizens of other nations domiciled in Nigeria not to be intimidated. These are difficult moments indeed but we must rise to the challenge in the hope that in the end, good shall triumph over evil.

"We call on every law-abiding citizen to be vigilant and forge a sense of community with their neighbour(s) to overcome this temporary challenge. We also call on our law enforcement agents to rise to the challenge of combating terror and to especially focus on protecting defenceless and vulnerable people.

To be able to do this successfully, our intelligence and security agencies need all the support they can get from government. In furtherance of the above, we wish to invite the government to, as a matter of urgency, do all that is necessary and explore legitimate avenues to bring to an end this insurgency. We dare say this includes addressing the remote and immediate causes of this phenomenon, re- equipping our intelligence and security forces to be proactive and also be able to cope with new challenges".

The Igbo traditional rulers who rose from their executive council meeting in Enugu condemned the continued killing of many Igbo in the north on account of activities of the Boko Haram insurgency and urged the Federal Government to take urgent steps to protect their people.

FG should protect Ndigbo--S-East monarchs

Chairman of South East Council of Traditional Rulers, Eze Cletus Ilomuanya, who briefed newsmen, said the council advised Ndigbo to remain calm till further notice, adding that the monarchs had dispatched emissaries to Kano to obtain the real number of Igbo casualties.

He said the council had also initiated moves to reach President Jonathan and lamented what he described as persistent acts of violence in Kano and other parts of the north on Igbo, warning that if the government failed to guarantee the security of lives especially of Igbo, the people would resort to self-help.

"We will set up machinery to investigate the incident to unravel the immediate and remote causes of the tragedy," Ilomuanya said.

A statement signed by the Secretary General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Dr. Joe Nwaorgu, read, "We condemn the sponsors and perpetrators of the continued cold blooded murder of fellow Nigerians. The Igbo nation is taking the heaviest toll on the casualty list and Ndigbo are grossly pained by this organised pogrom on her people."

FG laments insecurity in the North

Meanwhile, President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday warned that his government will no longer tolerate destruction of lives and property and challenged Kano State government to deploy the resources of government in dealing with the situation.

Minister of Interior, Mr Abba Moro, who led a delegation of the Federal Government to the state lamented the conflict in Kano and some Northern States of the country, saying the situation would no longer be accepted, especially the destruction of human lives, which we never created.

Mr Moro told Kano State Governor Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso that "We are here as a delegation of the Federal Government at the instance of President Goodluck Jonathan to commiserate with you, government and people of Kano State over the unfortunate bomb blast that shook the foundation of this state and claimed so many lives and property.

"Cases of wanton destruction of lives and properties, which took years to put in place would no longer be acceptable and all of us, government at all tiers and levels, Nigerians and friends of Nigerians should accept the reality that security is a joint responsibility of everybody".

Incessant conflicts 'll drive away investors from Kano

He also noted that "the destruction of valuable and critical infrastructure in recent times in the State has depleted Kano, known for its huge commercial activities and the great danger of continued conflict in this ancient city would drive investors away from Kano and this would do an incalculable damage to the economy of Kano and indeed Nigeria".

He added that "all efforts are being intensified to ensure that Nigerians are protected wherever they are."

Governor Kwankwaso in his remarks, explained that the state government was doing its best to protect lives and property of residents.

Kwankwaso said: "We were already collecting names of those who died in the attack and from what we see, they may comprise of mostly natives and people from this part of the country".

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2013 Vanguard. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.

InFocus

Nigeria: Kano Attacks Aimed at Civil War-Emir

Emir of Kano Ado Bayero

The emir of Kano say the recent suicide bombing was aimed at sparking a national crisis and urges the government to implement findings contained in a report submitted by the ... Read more »

Nigeria Groups Condemn Kano Bus Blast

Kano bus blast

Various groups have condemned the bombing of luxury buses in Kano, which led to the death of dozens of people and injuring many others. Read more »