Gambia: UTG- SoSHSA and SSAS' Nationwide Tour Scheduled

University of The Gambia Social Sciences and Humanities Students' Association (SoSHSA), and the Science Students' Association (SSA) have scheduled their second edition of the nationwide tour to take place on the 27th May 2013, with the theme: "Education to end poverty".

At a press conference recently held at the UTG Brikama Campus, the chairperson of the organising committee, Omar Jallow underscored the importance of the tour, noting that it is aimed at creating awareness among students, particularly those in the Upper River and North Bank Regions through teaching, sensitisation, and community services. He said the tour is envisaged to help broaden the intellectual scope of UTG students on fundamental issues relevant to the alleviation of poverty in their communities. "The importance of University education is to serve as a driving force towards poverty reduction," he added. Jallow noted that some of the students at UTG are being sponsored from the tax payers' money, hence the need to plough back the benefits to the communities.

He also revealed that the total budget of the tour is amounted to D168, 435.00, out of which 25% will be contributed by the students. Jallow therefore called on the support of the general public especially government and the private sector to finance the remaining 75%.

He however applauded the Office of the President, Gambia Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA), Gambia International Airlines (GIA), Gambia Armed Forces (GFA), Jah Oil Company, Nusrat Senior Secondary School and University of The Gambia for making last year's tour a success.

The president of UTG Science Students' Association (SSA), Buba Tamba, intimated that that under the constitution of the UTG-SSA, the Association is mandated to embark on a nationwide tour annually with a view to sensitising students in senior secondary schools on the significance of university education particularly in the fields of science.

"Students in senior secondary schools lack sufficient information about university education, it is therefore imperative for us to enlighten them on issues relating to UTG and university education in general," he added.

Tamba underscored the importance of science, technology and innovation to national development and assured their continuous commitment to the realisation of the Gambia government's development blueprints. He reiterated that no meaningful development can take place without science and technology and reminded students that it is part of their civic duties to contribute in various ways to the development of their communities. Tamba also used the occasion to solicit the assistance of government and other stakeholders in financing what he described as a noble endeavour.

The information and public relations officer of SoSHSA, Amadou Barry made similar remarks.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2013 The Daily Observer. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.