An electric fault is said to be the cause of the Wednesday night fire that gutted down a dormitory block at Buruburu Girls, a preliminary report shows.
The school administration said yesterday that two students were rushed to the adjacent Metropolitan Hospital after inhaling carbon emitted from the fire, while eight more were treated and discharged for shock.
The students were in their evening preps, a day before the school closes for first term.
The fire, which destroyed the second floor of one of the three hostels was contained by joint efforts from the casual staff and a fire engine from the G4S.
Nairobi area PPO Benson Kibue said more fire fighters had to be called for since one engine that had arrived at the school was overwhelmed.
Parents who had not received the news jammed the school yesterday morning, saying they heard of the fire from their other children who read about it on social media.
"My youngest daughter told me that there was fire at her sister school but I dismissed her warning her over facebook alerts but it turned out to be true, we are grateful to God," Gachie, a parent, said.
The light rain and breeze did not do much to better the situation. Local residents complained of the slow response of the Nairobi city council fire department.
On the night of the fire, the school's administration had a difficult time trying to calm down anxious parents who had flocked the institution demanding to see their daughters.