Three people have been confirmed dead while sixteen others are hospitalized following a suspected Cholera Outbreak in Kigorobya Sub-county, Hoima district.
The District Health Inspector, Fred Byenumi, told New Vision on Tuesday evening that the suspected outbreak has been reported in Kapaapi and Kibiro parishes along Lake Albert shores.
Byenumi identified the deceased who are all residents of the above parishes as Moses Otingi, 48, Faibi Mbabazi, two and half years, plus another unidentified man.
He said the two died following episodes of vomiting and diarrhea coupled with high fever.
"But we are yet to confirm if it is Cholera we are taking samples to the national virus research center in Entebbe to ascertain if it is the one but according to the symptoms it seem to be Cholera, once we confirm we shall declare to you," Byenumi explained.
He said as part of interventions they have opened a Cholera treatment center at Runga landing site in Kigorobya Sub County that will also handle all emerging cases.
He said the disease that was first reported in the area on Thursday last week is suspected to have spread from Nebbi and Arua the neighboring districts due to the usual interaction between the two neighboring areas people that trade along Lake Albert shoreline.
James Mugenyi Mulindambura, the area district Councilor blamed the spread to poor sanitation standards in the area
He has said the government should have a deliberate program to improve sanitation in the area.
"We have sensitized the people about latrine construction and usage since most of them do not have them (latrines) but they seem can't manage to have proper sanitary facilities which are expensive and outreach for most of these people given the nature of soils," he said.
According to Mulindambura, the collapsible soils are hard for people to own latrines.
He said the government should construct Eco-san toilets at each landing site s on the lake to address the problem.
Meanwhile, every year there is reported Cholera outbreak in the same sub county at every onset of the rainy season.
Last year the deadly disease in the same sub county claimed lives of 12 people and more than 600 were hospitalized.
Though the disease was contained following consorted efforts from the ministry of health and Charity organizations the disease stretched up to June.