20 April 2013

Tanzania: Man Shot in the Head but Lives to Tell What Happened

Police in Arusha have launched a manhunt in for a man identified as George Karau-Marrie , 38 years old and a gemstone dealer, who is alleged to have shot two of his associates killing one of them in cold blood on April 9.

Acting Arusha Regional Police Commander , SSP Zuberi Mwombeji named the dead victim of the shooting as Juma Rashid aged 45, also a gemstone dealer. Together with his mate Francis Edward Mwashuya, were shot by the suspect as they were riding in a Honda car with registration numbers T-230 CBE from the city center heading to Lemara via via Njiro.

The survivor, Francis Mwashuya has meanwhile gone missing after the incident but it is suspected that he is hiding for his own safety after recording his statement at the police.

Mr Rashid was shot twice on the head and chest and died on the spot while Mr Francis Mwashuya was shot in the head but miraculously survived after feigning to be dead until the killer left the scene.

The late Mr Rashid was driving, while his mate Mr Edward-Mwashuya (37) rode beside him. Behind them on the back seat sat the suspect whom they had just picked up at Impala Hotel, where he claimed to have been staying after arriving from Tokyo,Japan, where he had gone to sell a consignment of tanzanite gemstones.

Some sources say that the three had pooled together their tanzanite gems and entrusted it to Karau-Marrie who was to take the gemstones abroad then return to split the cash between them.

The suspect reportedly handled the other two dealers his house's title deed as collateral. The value of the gemstones is unknown yet.

It is reported that many days passed without getting any feedback from Karau and at first when they phoned him, he would respond that he was in Japan but later, his phone became inaccessible until last Tuesday the 9th evening when the line went into air again.

The late Rashid and his mate Francis Mwashuya phoned Karau from the Police Officers Mess in the night of Tuesday April, 9. 2013 wanting to know the outcome of the Tokyo deal. The suspect allegedly told them he already had the money and should find him at Impala Hotel.

They picked Karau from Impala and drove towards Lemara where the suspect's house is located because this is where he told the two victims that their money was.

But in the middle of nowhere, the suspect reportedly ordered Juma to stop the car before shooting him dead. He then shot the driver again on the chest.

George-Karau reportedly also shot Francis in the head and the latter collapsed on the dashboard playing dead and the act was so convincing because he was bleeding profusely.

Mr Karau then allegedly searched the two victims, taking gemstones of unknown value as well as cash money 400,000/- from them, before getting off the car and disappearing into the dark night.

Making sure the coast was clear, Mr Francis Mwashuya then used his cellular phone to summon help as he dragged himself along the road until he came across a Police patrol vehicle which rushed him to the Regional Mount Meru Hospital for treatment.

Copyright © 2013 Arusha Times. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.