Khartoum — The Justice and Equality Movement led by Mohamed Bashar (JEM-Bshar) announced the killing of its deputy general commander Saleh Moahmed Jarbo and accused JEM rebels of his death in North Darfur.
The two group reported Saturday they had clashed in the remote areas of Furawiyya in North Darfur and each side claimed have won the battle.
The fighting took place as the dissident group is preparing its troops to start the implementation of security arrangements deal after the signing of a peace deal in Doha with the Sudanese government on 6 April.
JEM-Bashar in a statement released on Sunday said Jarbo was killed in an ambush on the road between Darma, where is the movement's main base and Furawiyya on Wednesday 19 April by JEM rebels.
Nahar Osamn, JEM-Bashar political adviser, told Sudan Tribune that their group is in full control of Furawiyya denying statements by JEM spokesperson on Saturday saying they defeated Bashar group and disarmed its combatants.
He further said they arrested Chadian rebels who took part in recent attacks against their positions in North Darfur, adding that a Chadian rebel coalition, the Union of Forces of Resistance (UFR) took part in the fighting besides JEM.
He further said they know about coordination meetings between JEM leader Jibril Ibrahim and UFR of Timane Erdimi since last year.
The rebel official regretted that this attack opens the door for more fighting among Darfurians, however he asserted they will not stand idly and sooner or later they will revenge Jarbo.
He added that the Movement's leadership will head to Darma to discuss the security situation and decide the next move.
The former rebels were expected to arrive in Khartoum in line with the peace agreement they signed but Nahar said the new developments force them to reconsider their initial calendar.