This Day (Lagos)

28 April 2013

Nigeria: JTF Kills Top Boko Haram Commander in Combined Operation

Photo: Vanguard
The Boko Haram group according to findings by security agencies has conscripted agents to attack selected government institutions and buildings in Abuja between Monday 26th September and October 1st 2011, when Nigeria would be celebrating its 51st independent anniversary.

The military Joint Task Force (JTF) in Borno State, Operation Restore Order, Friday , killed a top commander of the Boko Haram sect, Mohammed Chad, in Maiduguri, the state capital, during a joint special operation with the men of the State Security Services (SSS).

Chad, who had been on the wanted list of the JTF, was said to have been killed in the Ruwan Zafi ward of the town at about 3am on Friday.

The killed Boko Haram commander was said to be a successor to one Ba'ana Assalafi, a Boko Haram commander who was killed during a shoot-out with security agencies in Sokoto last March

Military sources in the state fingered Chad as the mastermind of the multiple attacks and killings at Sanda Kyarimi Secondary School, Maiduguri where a teacher was shot dead and three female students were injured on March 18.

The JTF spokesman in the state, Lt. Col Sagir Musa, confirmed Chad's killing in a statement made available to newsmen yesterday.

"This special operation led to the death of a notorious Boko Haram terrorist, aka Mohammed Chad, an indigene of Marte, Borno State that has been on the wanted list of the

JTF. Intelligence indicated that he was involved in the planning and execution of many terror attacks in and outside Borno State.

"The killed suspected commander, is also believed to be the successor to Ba'ana Assalafi, a key Boko Haram commander that lost his life during a shoot out with security agencies in Sokoto," Sagir said in the statement

Cripple, 3 Others Remanded for Alleged Gang Rape - Adibe Emenyonu

A cripple and three other persons have been remanded in prison custody by an Oredo Chief Magistrate Court sitting in Benin City for allegedly gang-raping a 22 year old girl.

The accused persons , Saturday Enabulele(28), Moses Okoeki(18), Osasumwen Enina (17) and Junior Odubu(20), were also alleged to have on April 13 at 9 Akugbe Street, Siluko Road, Benin City, beat up the girl, tore her pant, shirt and skirt and dipped their fingers into her private part and consequently filmed her with a camera phone.

Apart from filming the victim's nudity and showing same to people, the prosecution further alleged that the accused persons and others now at large collected the girl's Nokia handset and wallet containing the sum of N10,000.

They pleaded not guilty to the 12-count charge brought against them and the trial Chief Magistrate, Peter Edo Asemota, had to remand them in prison custody in view of the prevalent rate of the offence within the court's jurisdiction. Hearing was adjourned to May 7.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2013 This Day. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.

InFocus

Nigeria: Boko Haram 'Kidnaps to Raise Funds'

The Boko Haram group according to findings by security agencies has conscripted agents to attack selected government institutions and buildings in Abuja between Monday 26th September and October 1st 2011, when Nigeria would be celebrating its 51st independent anniversary.

Boko Haram has launched a special squad of kidnappers that will target members of the public for ransoms, the military Joint Task Force in Borno state says. Read more »