14 May 2013

Zimbabwe: Man 'Resurrects' From the 'Dead'

MOURNERS at a funeral gathering in Gweru got the shock of their lives when a "dead" man "resurrected" during an inspection session.

The man, Mr Brighton Dama Zanthe (34) is said to have risen from the dead while his relatives and workmates were inspecting his body which had already been placed in a coffin.

The incident which is now the talk of the Gweru community occurred last week at Mr Zanthe's house in Mkoba Village 14.

Witnesses to the shocking incident said they were still trying to come to terms with the occurence.

"This shocked me. I was the first to notice Mr Zanthe's moving legs as I was in the queue to view his body. At first I could not believe my eyes but later realised that there was indeed some movements on the body as other mourners retreated in disbelief," said one of the witnesses and Mr Zanthe's employer, Mr Lot Gaka.

Mr Gaka who operates a bus company said they had processed burial papers and had booked to leave the body with a city funeral parlour when Mr Zanthe "resurrected".

"Mr Zanthe had been on sick leave for sometime and everyone at work was aware that he was critical. We would visit him at his home in Mkoba 14.

"I was not surprised when I received a call from Mr Zanthe's wife on Monday night last week saying that her husband had died," said Mr Gaka.

He said the company (Gettingson Bus Company) later went on to get quotations from local funeral parlours.

"I visited two local funeral parlours for quotations before I drove to Mr Zanthe's house in Mkoba Village 14 so that we could take the body to the mortuary," said Mr Gaka.

He said when he arrived at Mr Zanthe's home on Tuesday morning, he found a huge crowd of mourners gathered at the house.

"Mr Zanthe's body had already been put in a coffin and people were preparing to conduct a body viewing procession so that his body could be taken to a mortuary. It was during the body viewing procession that Mr Zanthe 'resurrected'," said Mr Gaka.

Mourners then scurried for cover as they could not believe what was happening.

"Mr Gaka later removed some blankets from Mr Zanthe's body after we noticed some movements and this was when we all realised that there was still life. We then called an ambulance which came within seven minutes."

He was taken to Gweru Provincial Hospital and was discharged on Thursday after spending close to two days on life support systems.

"It's really a miracle and most people are still in disbelief. Even officials from Nyaradzo Funeral Services who made some follow-up could not believe our story," said a witness only identified as Danny.

In an interview yesterday, Mr Zanthe said he was still failing to recollect what transpired to him.

"This issue can be best told by people who came to my house to attend my funeral.

I don't know what happened and I only remember being on a life support system in hospital. Everything is history to me. What I can only confirm is that people gathered at my house to mourn but I was given another chance and I am alive. I feel okay now," he said.

Copyright © 2013 The Herald. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.