Voice of America (Washington, DC)

Mali: Govt, Tuaregs Reach Election Deal

Photo: Magharebia
Mali begins Tuareg dialogue

A senior mediator says the Malian government and ethnic Tuareg rebels have agreed "in principle" on a deal that would allow elections to take place next month and the army to return to the rebel-held city of Kidal.

Burkina Faso Foreign Minister Djibril Bassole said late Monday both sides were reviewing the document, and that he expected them to sign the accord on Tuesday.

Bassole says the army's return to Kidal was a key concern in three days of talks in Ouagadougou mediated by Burkina Faso President Blaise Compaore.

Mali wants to re-establish government control and security in Kidal, which the Tuareg separatist group MNLA seized earlier this year. The rebels took the city after French forces ousted Islamist militants who had ruled northern Mali for 10 months.

In recent days, Malian soldiers and MNLA rebels have clashed repeatedly as the army pushes towards Kidal.

Human rights groups have accused both sides of rights abuses and there is concern that the ongoing violence could disrupt elections set for July 28.

  • Comment

Copyright © 2013 Voice of America. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica aggregates and indexes content from over 130 African news organizations, plus more than 200 other sources, who are responsible for their own reporting and views. Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica.

Comments Post a comment

InFocus

Will Historic Peace Deal Help Put Mali Back Together?

Rebels in north Mali signed a peace deal with the government to hold presidential elections in July and pave the way for western aid to rebuild the war-torn west African nation. Read more »