Former president Rupiah Banda this afternoon received a letter informing him of the withdrawal of his diplomatic passport by President Michael Sata's Patriotic Front,PF, regime.
The letter dated June 26, 2013 and signed by Willie Manjimela the acting permanent secretary at the Ministry of Home Affairs was delivered to the former president's house near State Lodge just before 17:00 hours this afternoon by two officers from the Passport and Citizenship office.
In a telephone interview Banda confirmed receiving the letter. "Yes the letter was delivered by two people whose names I have forgotten but they came with a book and asked me to sign for it," said former president Banda.
Describing the officers as very professional and polite Banda said he told them that the passport in question was not even in his custody as it was seized when he was arrested.
After perusing through the letter the former head of state said he instructed one of his aides to take it to the Office of the Fourth Republican President for filing.
The Post Newspaper has a front page headline in today's edition of Banda's passport being withdrawn by the state and much as journalistic sources have to be protected it is very clear that the newspaper had prior knowledge all along.
Delivering the letter to the former president has just been a formality.
It is quite clear that the PF regime really want to break Banda who so far has shown maturity strength and profound wisdom. The official announcement about the revocation of his passport was made even before he was informed.