A SEVEN-year-old boy of Kanona Township in Serenje District has died, while six others from the same family are admitted in a hospital after consuming suspected poisoned traditional drink 'Munkonyo' and vegetables.
Serenje District Commissioner Charles Mwelwa confirmed that the child had died, while six other members of the same family had been admitted to Chitambo Mission Hospital after taking suspected poisoned Munkoyo and vegetables.
Mr Mwelwa disclosed that the family fell ill on Monday around 19:00 hours after taking the drink and the vegetables that they bought from a market.
"A boy aged seven has died after taking suspected poisoned Munkoyo and vegetables. Six others from the same family have also been admitted in Chitambo Hospital," he said.
He said they developed diarrhoea and body pains after taking the food and were immediately rushed to the hospital.
He said the remaining family members admitted to the hospital were in critical condition and among them are five adults and a four-year-old who is in a serious condition.
Mr Mwelwa added that samples of the Munkoyo and vegetables had been taken to the University Teaching Hospital (UTH) in Lusaka to detect what was in the food.
He has since cautioned residents in the district to be careful when buying food stuffs and always wash fresh vegetables thoroughly.