Photo: The Star All public primary schools will reopen on Monday, two days after an indefinite closure by government, Education Secretary Jacob Kaimenyi announced yesterday.
The closure on Wednesday was ordered by Kaimenyi after a harrowing 22 days teachers' strike that paralysed learning in schools. Teachers, led by Kenya National Union of Teachers were demanding a pay out in allowances from the government in an agreement made in 1997.
Hours after the closure on Wednesday, Knut top officials struck a deal with Deputy President William Ruto to call off the strike. "We take note with concern that the teachers' strike disrupted learning activities for three weeks," Kaimenyi said and added that the government will hold a key stakeholders meeting on Tuesday to agree on how to address the matter expeditiously.
The Tuesday, meeting aimed at making suggestions on how to recover lost learning time during the 22 days strike was held. Kenya Primary School Headteachers Association chairman, Joseph Karuga had before the closure of the school indicated that it is important for the government to consult the key players on time for recovery.
Last year in September, there was a 24-days teachers' strike which disrupted learning, and forced the government to reschedule examination dates. Karuga said to recover time lost it will involve teaching extra hours.
Kaimenyi said the government is committed to ensuring that there are no further disruptions to the schools calendar and further advised that KCPE and KCSE examinations be held as planned. Second term closing date has been scheduled for August 9, while third term will have 11 weeks and will start on September 2 to November 15.

Comments Post a comment