Photo: The Star Police have detained Kenya National Union of Teachers chairman Wilson Sossion and the Union's secretary general Mudzo Ndzili guilty after a court found the two guilty of contempt.
The two Knut officials were fined Sh500,000 each by the Industrial Court for failing to call off their nationwide teachers' strike. The amount must be cleared within 30 days.
Sossion and Nzili have accused the government of accused the government of acting in bad faith by having them held in contempt just days after striking a deal a deal to end the teachers' strike.
Sossion said the union will revert to it's hardline stance in negotiations
over teachers housing and medical allowances.
Nzili adds that they as KNUT officials are happy to pay the price in the fight for teachers rights
The court has also fined the Knut Sh5 million which will be recovered by the Teachers Service Commission Judge Linette Ndolo said the two officials were aware of an order issued by the court on June 1 directing union leaders to call off the teachers strike that lasted for four weeks and ordering teachers to return to work by July 2.
TSC which filed the case againt Knut had also wanted the court to deduct Sh10,000 from the salaries of teachers who participated in the strike that was called off last week. The court ruled however that there was no basis to deduct the amount as no teacher was named in the suit.

Comments Post a comment