More than 100 senior officials from the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission have been deployed to polling stations in Makueni to verify that names of all the candidates cleared to vye in the Makueni senate race are on the ballot.
In a statement released today the commission said that the senior officials have been trained and will only carry out the verification of the ballot.
"Voting and transmission of results from 914 polling stations in the 6 constituencies (Mbooni, Kilome, Kaiti, Makueni, Kibwezi West and Kibwezi East), will be undertaken by other set of staff." IEBC said.
The commission further said the national tallying centre will not be in Nairobi but the media will be facilitated to transmit results from the tallying centre in Wote town. The IEBC also assured that the logistics and technical preparations are all within the set time lines.
The statement comes in the wake of a petition filed by the Cord to compel the IEBC to have its candidate's name, Mutula Kilonzo Junior's included on the ballot. The suit was filed by the coalition after it emerged Kilonzo's name did not appear on the the initially printed ballots already prepared by the IEBC.
IEBC officials are currently in court over the matter in which the Wiper Party wants the court to stop the by-election until the commission prints ballot papers with Kilonzo's name.
The commission had been considering the options available to it which would include manually adding Kilonzo Junior's name on the ballot paper as the printers, Smith and Ouzman said they are unable to print and deliver the amended ballot papers before by-election scheduled for this Friday.

Comments Post a comment