Egypt: UN Chief Condemns Violence in Egypt, Urges Security Forces to Respect Human Rights

Photo: Li Muzi/Xinhua
Members of opposition groups wave flags during an anti-President Mohamed Morsi rally at Tahrir Square in Cairo, capital of Egypt, on June 30, 2013.

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today strongly condemned the deadly upsurge of violence in Egypt and called on security forces to respect the right to free speech and assembly while urging protesters to demonstrate peacefully.

"The Secretary-General once again calls on the interim authorities to assume full responsibility for the peaceful management of the demonstrations and ensure the protection of all Egyptians," Mr. Ban's spokesperson said in a statement.

Protests on Friday and Saturday have left scores of people dead and hundreds others injured.

He added that Egypt's seThe Secretary-General appeals to all the people of Egypt to address their differences through dialogue and again renews his calls to all parties to engage in an inclusive and meaningful reconciliation process.curity forces must act with full respect for human rights, including guaranteeing the rights to free speech and assembly.

Mr. Ban also urged demonstrators to exercise restraint and preserve the peaceful nature of their protests.

"The Secretary-General appeals to all the people of Egypt to address their differences through dialogue and again renews his calls to all parties to engage in an inclusive and meaningful reconciliation process," according to the statement.

Mr. Ban underlined that violence is not a substitute for a political solution and, therefore, "calls on all Egyptian leaders to put the interest of Egypt above all individual, group and political interests."

The crisis in the country escalated earlier this month, resulting in the Egyptian military deposing President Mohamed Morsy amid widespread protests in which dozens of people were killed and wounded. The Constitution was then suspended and an interim government set up.

Mr. Morsi and Muslim Brotherhood leaders currently in detention should immediately be released or have their cases reviewed in full transparency, Mr. Ban urged in the statement.

He also expressed his deepest condolences to the families of the victims in the latest round of protests and wished the wounded a speedy recovery.

Yesterday, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay stressed that it is extremely important that security forces in Egypt do not resort to excessive use of force, and that her office would be closely following how the situation develops.

  • Comment

Copyright © 2013 UN News Service. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica aggregates and indexes content from over 130 African news organizations, plus more than 200 other sources, who are responsible for their own reporting and views. Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica.

Comments Post a comment

InFocus

Death Toll in Egypt Clashes Rises

An official said on Sunday that the death toll of the violent confrontations which erupted during the early hours of Saturday by the Rabaa al-Adaweya Mosque has increased, with ... Read more »