Concord Times (Freetown)

Sierra Leone: Salone Passport Saga! Dr. Abassbundu'cries' for Justice

Former ECOWAS Executive Secretary who also doubled as Foreign Minister of Sierra Leone has pleaded for justice after spending one year and eight months on trial regarding Sierra Leonean passports he was alleged to have sold to foreign nationals during the National Provisional Ruling Council (NPRC)military junta.

Dr. Abass Bundu, while responding to questions on the passport saga during a press conference at the SLPP headquarters in Freetown on Wednesday (24 July 2013), said since the trial started over one year ago, the matter has been adjourned severally without any headway.

He said the prosecution has not presented enough evidence to prove their case but rather relied on a statement he made at the Criminal Investigation Department (CID), and since then the matter has made no progress.

"I want this matter to be tried because I did not sell the passports illegally, it was a government decision," argued Dr. Bundu. "I want a ruling on this matter because I want Sierra Leoneans to actually understand the actual story because the stigma is already there about my involvement in the passport saga. I want human rights groups, civil society and the media to know that this matter has been in court for one year, eight months."

He added that the matter was again revisited under the current APC administration.

It could be recalled that Dr. Bundu was charged with seven counts of conspiracy to defraud the state contrary to the laws of Sierra Leone. It was alleged that the former Foreign Minister, on diverse dates between 26 August 1994 and 30 June 1995, in Freetown, conspired with other persons unknown to defraud the government of Sierra Leone of the sum of US$210,000, being proceeds from the sale of Sierra Leonean passports.

From counts two to seven, Dr. Bundu was charged with the offence of larceny contrary to Section 17(a) of the Larceny Act of 1916, with the particulars of offence stating that between the dates of May 2, 1994 and 30th June 1995, in Freetown, Dr. Bundu- being clerk or servant of Sierra Leone - stole from the said government of Sierra Leone the sum total of US$210,000.

Magistrate Komba Kamanda gave the accused a Le500m bail during his first appearance in court.

  • Comment

Copyright © 2013 Concord Times. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica aggregates and indexes content from over 130 African news organizations, plus more than 200 other sources, who are responsible for their own reporting and views. Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica.

Comments Post a comment