SW Radio Africa (London)

Zimbabwe: Zanu-PF Intimidation Continues to Rise Ahead of Poll

Incidents of intimidation and threats of violence against supporters of the MDC-T have continued to grow ahead of Wednesday's election, with ZANU PF members and supporters said to be responsible for the threats.

The most recent incident involved a Retired Brigadier-General Livingstone Chineka who reportedly threatened post-election 'war' if ZANU PF loses the elections on Wednesday. According to a report by the NewsDay newspaper, Chineka said on Monday that former liberation war fighters would take up arms against the MDC-T if it wins.

Addressing hundreds of villagers who were reportedly force-marched to Charumbira shopping centre, Chineka told the "visibly frightened villagers" that the former fighters were "never too old" to dislodge MDC-T leader Morgan Tsvangirai from power if he beats Robert Mugabe.

"I went to war at the tender age of 16. I did not enjoy my adolescence period. Do you think I enjoyed it? We had no food, no healthcare, it was all problems," Chineka said.

SW Radio Africa was then told on Tuesday about an incident involving what were thought to be MDC-T supporters wearing party t-shirts, who had asked a Zim family for help to transport their workers to the polling stations on Wednesday.

"Once they had got their good will they took off their MDC shirts and had ZANU shirts and said they were CIO and became very intimidating that the workers must all vote at the local polling station so that they would know if there were any MDC votes," a source said.

The Heal Zimbabwe Trust meanwhile has also listed a growing number of reports of intimidation and threats across the country, ahead of the poll.

This includes an incident in Buhera West, Ward 14 on Saturday, when Deputy Police Commissioner Oliver Mandipaka (who is also the ZANU PF aspiring candidate for Buhera West) forced villagers to attend his rally at Marume Primary School.

During his address, Mandipaka said is a current recruitment and training process of police and soldiers who will beat up people if MDC- T wins the election.

Heal Zimbabwe Trust also reported that in Mudzi North, Ward 9 on Sunday, a group of ZANU PF activists led by John Karonga forced people to attend a meeting where 48 MDC-T activists were each 'assigned' a ZANU PF supporter who is supposed to 'assist' them while they vote on Wednesday.

Another incident reported on Sunday was in Hurungwe North, where a group of soldiers threatened to kill an MDC-T activist identified as Passmore Mugera. This was after they had seen him putting up MDC-T posters.

At the same time in Gokwe a ZEC election official identified as Auxilia Nyamusoko was reportedly threatened by a group of ZANU PF youth who said that if she allows MDC-T activists to vote, they will beat her after the election.

Meanwhile, the ZBC reported Tuesday that heavily armed riot police were being deployed in potential election 'flashpoints' ahead of Wednesday's poll.

ZBC radio said thousands of officers had been sent to the central Midlands province, while trucks of police carrying automatic rifles and grenade launchers patrolled in the Harare townships of Highfield and Mbare.

  • Comment

Copyright © 2013 SW Radio Africa. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica aggregates and indexes content from over 130 African news organizations, plus more than 200 other sources, who are responsible for their own reporting and views. Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica.

Comments Post a comment