Sabahi (Washington, DC)

Kenya: Al-Shabaab Releases Two Kenyan Hostages

Al-Shabaab has released two Kenyan civil servants kidnapped last year, the Kenyan government announced Tuesday (July 30th).

"Two Kenyans abducted by al-Shabaab insurgents on January 11, 2012 have been released following successful negotiations spearheaded by border communities in North-Eastern Province," a statement from the State House said.

District officer in Burder Division Yesse Mule Edward and registrar of persons in Wajir South District Frederick Irungu Wainana are healthy and have returned to their families, the statement said. No details have been released on the date or location of their release.

The families of Kenyan hostages called on the Kenyan government this week to initiate talks with al-Shabaab to secure their release. Sergeant Jonathan Kangogo and Corporal Evans Mutoro, who were captured in July 2011, are believed to still be in al-Shabaab custody.

"Efforts are being made to secure the release of other Kenyans still held captive by al-Shabaab militiamen in Somalia," the State House said.

  • Comment

Copyright © 2013 Sabahi. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica aggregates and indexes content from over 130 African news organizations, plus more than 200 other sources, who are responsible for their own reporting and views. Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica.

Comments Post a comment