Zimbabwe: Row Erupts After Mugabe Party Claims Election Win

Photo: xinhua
A voter gets his ballot at a polling station in Harare, capital of Zimbabwe.

Cape Town — Zimbabwe's most credible civil society election monitors have raised serious questions about the credibility of the country's polls, as President Robert Mugabe's party claimed on Thursday to have "buried" Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai's party, which in turn charged that the election had been a "monumental fraud".

The Zimbabwe Election Support Network (ZESN) said in Harare that Wednesday's election was "seriously compromised" by a "systematic effort to disenfranchise an estimated million voters".

The network said that 99.97 percent of estimated eligible rural voters had been registered against only 67.94 percent of urban voters. It estimated a shortfall of 760,000 registered urban voters and said they had been "systematically... denied the opportunity to vote." Urban areas have traditionally been a stronghold of Tsvangirai's Movement for Democratic Change.

The first major post-election controversy was triggered on Thursday when, a little more than 12 hours after voting was formally due to end - although it continued until late into the night in some places - an unnamed official in Mugabe's Zanu-PF party told Reuters news agency: "We've taken this election. We've buried the MDC. We never had any doubt that we were going to win."

Reuters attributed the comment to "a senior source" in the party "who asked not to be named" but said the outcome was already clear.

Responding soon afterwards, an official described by Reuters as "a senior source" in the MDC reportedly told the agency: "It's a monumental fraud. Zimbabweans have been taken for a ride by Zanu-PF and Mugabe, we do not accept it." The MDC's secretary-general, told South Africa's SABC News that the election "represented the mother of all rigging, the mother of all shenanigans".

Later on Thursday morning, the ZESN held a news conference at which it suggested that, although voting went smoothly on polling day and no major incidents were reported, up to a million Zimbabweans had been disenfranchised. Far more people had been turned away from urban than rural polling stations.

"At 82 percent of urban polling stations many potential voters were turned away and not permitted to vote for reasons which include names not appearing on the voters' roll and turning up at the wrong ward for voting. This is in sharp contrast to rural areas where only 38 percent of polling stations turned away many potential voters. This served to disenfranchise thousands more... urban voters on Election Day."

The network also cited pre-election issues, including "massive bias in state media", intimidation in rural areas, lack of meaningful voter education, a "rushed electoral process" and harassment of civil society groups, which contributed to the credibility of the elections being compromised.

It called on observers from the African Union and the Southern African Development Community to take account of these issues.

In an earlier statement, on Wednesday, the ZESN also said a major concern was "the delayed release, distribution and the non-availability of the electronic and hard copies of the voters' roll, particularly to contesting political parties".

It cited the following as problems:

  • Registered voters from previous elections did not appear on the roll,
  • The names of some who had already voted in pre-election special voting were still on the roll, and
  • Some who said they had not voted during the special voting process said their names had been crossed off the roll.

In Thursday's statement, the ZESN said the failure to make an electronic version of the voters' roll available before election day meant there was no way to assess bias in the final roll.

ZESN is a coalition of 31 non-governmental organisations which has observed all the country's elections since 2000.

This report has been edited since first publication with further details from the full text of the ZESN's Thursday statement.

  • Comment (10)

Copyright © 2013 allAfrica.com. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica aggregates and indexes content from over 130 African news organizations, plus more than 200 other sources, who are responsible for their own reporting and views. Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica.

Comments Post a comment

  • MEEGYE01
    Aug 1 2013, 12:13

    Kenya's last two presidential elections have to have been such a special inspiration and encouragement to Mugabe. Learn to move on, Zimbabwe! (The farce continues, sadly.)

  • Bitmap
    Aug 1 2013, 16:58

    The devil, thru his agents, namely Obasanjo, Nkosazana Zuma, SADC and AU is pushing for WAR in Zimbabwe. The future of Zimbabwe is now in the hands of its sons and daughters and not these criminals. Sooner or later the people will have the last laugh!

  • kjrs120
    Aug 1 2013, 16:47

    pfize, how can you "still be counting" when a senior member of Zanu-PF who has asked for anonymity has ALREADY broadcast that "Zanu-PF has buried Tsvangirai?" Obviously HE knows what Zanu-PF has done or he would not make such an announcement.

  • jeffjedi06
    Aug 1 2013, 17:48

    When we voted in ZANUPF we also voted in corruption, violence, intimidation, theft and mismanagement. who is to blame ? Rhodies? No the Whites? No, The West ? No. We only have ourselves to blame. Zimbabwe will be nothing except for the few that rape and steal its resources, but dear reader we are the makers of our own demise.

  • takunya_ndebvu
    Aug 1 2013, 17:52

    Kjrs120;

    "A senior member of Zanu-PF" with no name??? These are the losers - imposters - who want to purport to be ZANU-PF members when they are not. By purporting to speak on behalf of ZANU-PF, they (MDC-C losers) want to tarnish or soil the good name of the WINNING REVOLUTIONARY party.

    ZANU-PF does not need anyone who disturbs the winning pattern of the revolutionary party. That is why Cde Pfize told you - "Sssssh" - to maintain absolute silence as counting is currently in progress.

    We are law abiding; and so we wait for the ZEC to announce results before we speak. However, what has been clear to EVERYBODY since two years ago was the fact that ZANU-PF was going to "bury" MDC-C at the polls. This, I suppose, was and still is not a secret!!!

See All Comments

InFocus

Credibilty of Zimbabwe Elections Questioned

The Zimbabwe Election Support Network, a coalition of 31 non-governmental organisations monitoring polls in the country since 2000, has said that the election was "seriously ... Read more »